- Keep exit doors totally accessible! Make sure they're not obstructed, propped shut or locked.
- Keep hallways clear of slip and trip hazards – they're not the place to store equipment or materials.
- Keep all flammable materials and chemicals properly labeled and stored.
- Keep office spaces, hallways and exit doors free of clutter and hazards.
- Make sure all appliances are UL listed and approved. Never use extension cords with small appliances.
- Know where fire alarms and fire extinguishers are located and make sure they're always accessible.
- Keep an eye out for suspicious activity – make sure your workplace is always locked and secure, and don't leave combustible rubbish outside the building.
- Plan ahead! Familiarize yourself with emergency procedures and keep a record of associates’ contact numbers.
- Take fire drills seriously. Make sure you know what is expected of you and practice, practice, practice!
- Report problems. Notify a supervisor or building management person at once with any issues or concerns.