Policies and security
Effective March 23, 2017
This Privacy Statement applies to the handling of your Personal Information in connection with all services and Web sites offered by Quill.com.
- Why we collect personal information
- What personal information we collect and when it is collected
- How your personal information is used and protected
- When and with whom your personal information is shared
- How to contact us with questions or comments
Information we collect
This Privacy Statement applies to Personal Information, which is information that we collect from you as a customer that specifically identifies you as an individual.
We may collect your Personal Information when you:
- Place an order from our catalog or our web sites
- Create an account on our web sites
- Return an item, make an exchange or submit a rebate
- Inquire about our products or services or contact customer service
- Request our catalog
- Sign up for our email updates or other promotional materials
- Enter our contest or sweepstake
- Are referred to us through a marketing promotion
- Participate in a marketing survey, promotion or event
Personal information that we collect from you may include:
- Telephone number
- Fax number
- Email address
- Transaction information
- Credit card, debit card or checking account information
- Company history (in conjunction with new account set up)
We may also collect other information, including browsing activity on our web sites, activity in response to our emails, location information, and aggregated or statistical information regarding use of our web sites to improve site performance, product offerings, and promotions and targeted advertising. If you do not want to receive targeted advertising from us, please see the cookies section below. If you do not want to receive email or other mail from us, please see the choices section below.
Note: in order to provide you with a better shopping experience and to improve the quality of our services, we may combine personal information you submit under your account with other information that we may receive from you, from third parties or with other public information. We maintain this information, along with a record of your purchases, in restricted databases.
Some services we provide require us to become temporary custodians of customers' equipment, such as personal computers, that may contain personal information. It is our policy not to retain such information from customer equipment once the requested services are complete.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children younger than 13.
How we use the information we collect
We strive to make your shopping experience easy and convenient, from your initial search for products and services through the delivery of your requested items. The information we collect helps us meet this goal by allowing us to:
- Customize your shopping experience and identify your preferences
- Confirm, process, fulfill, and track your orders
- Respond to your customer service inquiries or requests
- Inform you of special values and featured items
- Send you catalogs or promotional offers we believe will be of interest to you
- Serve you targeted advertising
- Send you email updates
- Inform you of recalls or other information on products you have purchased
- Prevent or mitigate fraud and credit risk
- Administer promotions, contests, sweepstakes, and rewards programs
- Improve our merchandise selection, web sites and customer service
- Comply with applicable legal demands, laws and regulations
California residents – notice of disclosure
California law gives California residents the right to request a notice describing the categories of personal information we share with affiliated companies or other parties for their direct marketing purposes.
The notice that we give California residents under California civil code sections 1798.83–1798.84 identifies the categories of personal information we share with affiliated companies or others for their direct marketing purposes. The notice includes the names and addresses of those affiliated companies or others. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please email us with our web-based email form or write to us at:
Quill Direct Marketing Services
100 Schelter Rd
Lincolnshire, IL 60069
Use of “cookies.”
Cookies are pieces of information that are transferred from web sites to your computer's hard drive and they may serve a variety of purposes (web beacons, flash cookies and other similar technologies may also be used for these purposes). For example, cookies “remember” you when you return to one of our web sites and make your experience more user-friendly. Cookies help us identify which web pages are visited and how often and evaluate how its web sites are used to improve their services.
Cookies also enable us and our third parties to deliver targeted advertising to you. To learn how to opt out of these advertising-related cookies, click here. You can also opt-out of receiving personalized ads from third party advertisers and ad networks who are members of the digital advertising alliance or the network advertising initiative by visiting their opt-out pages. If your browsers are configured to reject cookies when you visit these pages, or if you subsequently erase your cookies, use a different device or change web browsers, your opt-out may become ineffective and may need to be repeated. Browser settings, including do not track signals and other mechanisms, will not affect data collection and not constitute an opt-out of advertising-related cookies, personalized third-party advertising or promotional messages from us; you must use the opt-out choices described herein in order to opt out from such promotional messages.
Your choices regarding our promotional messages
You may decide to opt out of receiving promotional messages from us. To do so, please notify us by one of the following means:
- Follow the “unsubscribe” link on any of our promotional emails
- Email us using our web-based email form and tell us what marketing programs you want to opt-out from
- Call us toll-free at 1-800-799-1331
- Fax the back page of our catalog or direct mail piece address (with your instructions to be removed on it) to us toll free at 877-789-8955
- Write to us at Quill Direct Marketing Services, 100 Schelter Rd, Lincolnshire, IL 60069 (please note that an opt-out request sent by postal mail may take at least sixty (60) days to become effective)
Once we have processed your request, you may continue to receive messages or postal mail from affiliated companies and others if they received your email, mobile number or postal address from us previously, from sources other than us or through their own transactions or communications with you. You will also continue to receive promotional messages if you later request to hear from us again.
We may share your personal information with third parties in the following instances:
- We may provide your personal information to third parties to process this information on our behalf. We require that these parties agree to process this information based on our instructions and requirements consistent with this privacy statement.
- We may disclose your personal information to: (a) satisfy applicable law, regulations, legal process or valid governmental request; (b) enforce applicable terms of service, including investigation of potential violations of terms of service; (c) detect, prevent or mitigate fraud or security or technical issues; or (d) protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of our company, its customers or the public as required or permitted by law.
- We may disclose some elements of your personal information to third parties to notify you of offers or services that may be of interest to you. We do not share credit card or other financial information for marketing purposes.
- We may disclose personal information to third parties in connection with a merger, acquisition or sale (including any transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings) involving our company or its affiliated companies or as part of a corporate reorganization, stock or asset sale, or other change in corporate control.
- We may also disclose to third parties aggregated or other information that does not identify you individually, such as how many customers viewed a particular product or web page, to conduct website analytics or to serve you targeted advertising.
Third-party web sites
Our web sites may contain links to, or plugins or widgets from, social media or other sites operated and maintained by third parties, over which we have no control. Privacy practices on such sites may be different from our privacy statement. Similarly, our websites may be accessed and used from third-party sites that we do not control. We encourage you to consult the privacy policies that govern such sites before using them.
We maintain reasonable and appropriate standards to safeguard your personal information.
When you enter personal information that contains credit or debit card number at the designated and secured sections of our websites, the site encrypts or encodes the information when sending it over the internet. Personal information that we collect and maintain is subject to physical, administrative, and technical controls that are consistent with recognized industry standards.
We process personal information on our servers in the united states and in other countries. In some cases, we may process your personal information on a server outside your own country in accordance with this privacy statement and applicable law.
Avoiding identity theft. If you think someone has improperly accessed or used your personal information supplied to us or made unauthorized purchases at with us using your personal information, please contact us immediately.
Consider taking the following steps to protect yourself against fraud and identity theft:
- Review your account statements regularly. Carefully review your bank, credit card, and other account statements every month to ensure that all of your account activity is valid. Report any questionable charges promptly and in writing to the card or account issuer.
- Review your credit report from time to time. Obtain and review your credit report periodically to ensure that all your information is correct. You can obtain a free credit report once per year by visiting http://www.annualcreditreport.com or by calling 877-322-8228. Carefully reviewing your credit report can help you spot problems and address them quickly. If you have any questions about your credit report or notice any inaccuracies, contact the relevant consumer reporting agency promptly at the telephone number listed on the report.
- Create a fraud alert. Consider placing a fraud alert on your credit file. The fraud alert prompts creditors to contact you before opening any new accounts or increasing credit limits on your existing accounts. You can place a fraud alert on your credit file by contacting one of three consumer reporting agencies listed below. You need to contact only one of the three agencies in order to create the alert; the agency you contact is required by law to contact the other two. You will receive confirmation letters in the mail and then will be able to order a credit report from each of the three agencies, free of charge. The fraud alert will remain in your credit file for at least 90 days.
P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374
P.O. Box 9532
Allen, TX 75013
P.O. Box 6790
Fullerton, CA 92834
- For more guidance on steps you can take to protect your information and credit, contact the U.S. Federal Trade Commission by email at www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/feature-0014-identity-theft or by telephone at 877-id-theft (877-438-4338), or write to the commission at:
Identity Theft Clearinghouse, Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, D.C. 20580
Changes to your personal information
To help ensure that the personal information we store and process is accurate, complete and current, please contact us with changes to your personal information by one of the means described in the section about your choices regarding our promotional messages above.
Unless otherwise required by law or for legitimate business purposes, we will make good-faith efforts to correct your personal information when you notify us of an error or a change. To prevent unauthorized changes, we ask individual customers to positively identify themselves before we process such requests.
We reserve the right to charge a small fee to process any request to update, correct or delete personal information. We also may decline to process certain requests that require a disproportionate technical or practical cost or effort or that could jeopardize the privacy of others or infringe upon ours rights or property.
How to contact us with questions or comments. Please direct any questions or concerns regarding this privacy statement or our treatment of personal information to us through this web site, by emailing us or by writing to us at:
Quill Direct Marketing Services
100 Schelter Rd
Lincolnshire, IL 60069
Upon receiving a written complaint from a customer, we contact the customer directly. We will investigate your complaint promptly and diligently to address your concerns and to resolve any dispute quickly.
We are a member of bbbonline, the online division of the better business bureau, which offers a privacy dispute resolution program for customers with online privacy complaints involving bbbonline privacy program participants. We will strive to resolve any customer services complaints regarding the transfer of personal information that cannot be resolved between us and the customer promptly in accordance with bbbonline procedures.
We regularly review our compliance with this privacy statement.
Privacy statement updates
This privacy statement may change from time to time. We will post on our web sites all changes to the privacy statement, and, if the changes are significant, will provide a more prominent notice of the privacy statement change. Each version of this privacy statement will be identified by its effective date, found at the main page of the privacy statement.
What has changed
March 23, 2017
We removed references to the US-EU and US-Swiss Safe Harbor programs which have or will be discontinued.
Terms and conditions
Read about our copyrights, user conduct policy, and other disclaimers and procedures.
Please read these terms and conditions of use carefully. These terms and conditions (“T&C”) may have changed since your last visit to the site. By using the site, you indicate your acceptance of these T&C. If you do not accept these T&C, then do not use the site.
Quill.com (“Site”) is owned by Quill Corporation and is currently provided free of charge to users who agree to abide by these T&C. Quill.com reserves the right to change the nature of this relationship at any time, and to revise these T&C from time to time as Quill.com sees fit. Users who violate these T&C will have their access canceled and they may permanently be banned from using the Site. Users should check these T&C periodically. By using the Site after we post changes to these T&C, you agree to accept those changes, whether or not you actually reviewed them.
We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, national origin, gender, sexual orientation or religion.
No person under the age of 13 should use the Site without the consent of their parent or legal guardian. We strongly encourage all parents and guardians to monitor the Internet use of their children. Use of the Site by any user shall be deemed to be a representation that the user is 13 years of age or older.
Copyrights, trademarks & restrictions
The material included herein, including site design, text, graphics and the selection and arrangement thereof are copyrighted © by Quill Corporation. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Quill.com™ other trademarks and all page headers, custom graphics and custom icons are service marks and trademarks of Quill Corporation. All other trademarks, product names and company names or logos cited herein are the property of their respective owners.
The Site and all materials on the Site, including, but not limited to, images, illustrations, posts, audio clips and video clips (the “Materials”) are the property of Quill.com and its affiliates and licensors and are protected from unauthorized copying and dissemination by copyrights that are owned or licensed by Quill.com and by copyright law, trademark law, international conventions and other intellectual property laws. You may not reproduce, perform, create derivative works from, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute in any way whatsoever any Materials from the Site (or any other Web site owned or operated by Quill.com or its subsidiaries or affiliates) without Quill.com's prior written permission. However, you may print in hard copy portions of the Site with the sole intent of placing an order with Quill.com or applying for credit. Printing Materials for any other reason, or transferring Materials for use on any other Web site, or the modification, distribution or republication of Materials without Quill.com's prior written permission is strictly prohibited. Any modification of Materials, or any portion thereof, or use of Materials for any other purpose constitutes an infringement of trademark or other proprietary rights of Quill.com or third parties.
Quill.com is not responsible for the content of any unaffiliated Web sites that may be linked to or from the Site. These links are provided for your convenience only and you access them at your own risk. Any other Web site accessed from the Site is independent from Quill.com, and Quill.com has no control over the content of that other Web site. In addition, a link to any other Web site does not imply that Quill.com endorses or accepts any responsibility for the content or use of such other Web site. In no event shall any reference to any third party or third-party product or service be construed as an approval or endorsement by Quill.com of that third party or of any product or service provided by a third party.
Quill.com is concerned about privacy matters for its customers. To learn more about how we protect customer information, please review our Privacy Statement.
Product and services information
Product availability and some prices offered on the site may vary based on your location. Prices shown on the Site apply to products and services on the Site. Price and availability are subject to change without notice.
In order to comply with federal anti-money laundering regulations, we are unable to process gift card orders of more than $2,000.00 in any single transaction.
We attempt to display all products shown on the Site in an accurate manner; however, because of the technical differences in the equipment of our customers, we cannot be responsible for photographic differences in size, shape and color of the products.
The receipt of an email order confirmation is simply a recognition that we have received your requested order, and does not constitute an offer to sell. We reserve the right to limit the quantity of any item sold, or prohibit a sale altogether, including but not limited to prohibiting sales to resellers.
Notice and take-down procedures
If you believe any Materials on the Site infringe your copyright or trademark rights, you may request such Materials be removed by following the notice and take-down procedures of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. To follow those procedures, contact Quill.com's copyright agent (identified below) and provide the following information:
- A clear statement identifying the works or other Materials believed to be infringed.
- A statement from the copyright holder or authorized representative that the Materials are believed to be infringing.
- Sufficient information about the location of the allegedly infringing Materials so that Quill.com can find and verify its existence.
- Your name, telephone number and email address.
- A statement from you under penalty of perjury that the information supplied is accurate, and that you are authorized to act on the copyright owner's behalf.
- A signature or the electronic equivalent from the copyright holder or authorized representative.
Quill.com's agent for notice of copyright issues on the Site can be reached as follows:
500 Staples Drive
Framingham, MA 01702
Attn: Legal Department
with a copy to: General Counsel
(ref: Copyright Infringement)
Conduct of users
You agree that you will not: (i) transmit via or through the Site any information, data, text, files, links, software, chat, communication or other materials that is or that Quill.com considers to be unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, racially or ethnically hateful or otherwise objectionable; (ii) attempt to transmit any “virus,” “trojan horse” or other software destruction or disruption device; (iii) intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, including but not limited to, any regulations having the force of law while you are using or accessing the Site or in connection with your use of the Site, in any manner; and (iv) invade the privacy or violate any personal or proprietary right (including intellectual property rights) of any person or entity.
By using the Site, you agree to indemnify the Quill.com Parties for any and all claims, damages, losses, liabilities and causes of action (including expenses and attorneys' fees) incurred by them arising out of or relating to your breach or alleged breach of these T&C (including, without limitation, claims made by third parties for infringement of intellectual property rights). You agree to cooperate as fully as reasonably required in the defense of any claim. Quill.com reserves the right to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you.
Disclaimer, limitation of liability
The site is provided by quill.com on an “as is” and “as available” basis. Quill.com makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to (1) the operation of the site, (2) the quality, accuracy, completeness or validity of any materials on the site, or the information, content, materials or products included on the site, or (3) whether the functions contained on the site will be uninterrupted or error free, or that defects will be corrected, including but not limited to, warranties of title, implied warranties of merchantability, or fitness for a particular purpose. Quill.com is not responsible for printing or typographical errors. You expressly agree that your use of the site is at your sole risk.
This site may also contain facts, views, opinions, statements and recommendations of third-party individuals and organizations. None of the quill.com parties represents or endorses the accuracy, timeliness or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information displayed, uploaded or distributed through the site. You acknowledge that any reliance on any such opinion, advice, statement or information will be at your sole risk.
None of the quill.com parties is responsible or liable for any special, incidental, consequential, punitive or other indirect damages that result from the use of, or the inability to use, the site or the information contained on the site, even if that party has been advised of the possibility of such damages. In no event shall the total liability of the quill.com parties to you for all damages, losses and causes of action resulting from your use of the site, whether in contract, tort (including, but not limited to, negligence) or otherwise, exceed one dollar (us$1.00).
Certain state laws do not allow limitations on implied warranties or the exclusion or limitation of certain damages. If these laws apply to you, some or all of the above disclaimers, exclusions or limitations may not apply to you, and you might have additional rights.
Quill.com may, in its sole discretion, terminate or suspend your access to all or part of the Site, for any reason, including, without limitation, breach of these T&C. In the event these T&C are terminated, the restrictions regarding Materials appearing on the Site, and the representations and warranties, indemnities and limitations of liabilities set forth in these T&C will survive termination. In the event that you are unsatisfied with the services provided by Quill.com, your sole remedy is to terminate your use of the Site.
Quill.com operates the Site from its offices within the United States. Quill.com makes no representations that content and materials on the Site are legal or appropriate for use from outside the United States. If you choose to access the Site from other locations, you do so at your own risk and are responsible for compliance with any and all local laws. You may not use the Site in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. These T&C will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, as it is applied to agreements entered into and performed therein, and excluding (i) the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods; (ii) the 1974 Convention on the Limitation Period in the International Sale of Goods; and (iii) the Protocol amending the 1974 Convention, done at Vienna April 11, 1980. Any action brought to enforce these T&C or matters related to the Site will be brought in either the State or Federal Courts of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts; provided, however, that notwithstanding anything contained in these T&C to the contrary, Quill.com shall have the right to institute judicial proceedings against you or anyone acting by, through or under you, in order to enforce Quill.com's rights hereunder through reformation of contract, specific performance, injunction or similar equitable relief. Any claim or cause of action you have with respect to use of the Site must be commenced within one (1) year after the claim arises. If any provision of these T&C is deemed void, unlawful or otherwise unenforceable for any reason, that provision will be severed from these T&C and the remaining provisions of these T&C will remain in force. These T&C constitute the entire agreement between you and Quill.com concerning your use of the Site.
Comments, complaints and questions
We welcome your feedback about the Site. However, any comments, ideas, notes, messages, suggestions or other communications sent to the Site shall be and remain the exclusive property of Quill.com, and we may use all such communications in any manner, including reproducing, disclosing and publishing such communications, all without compensation to you. Should you have any questions or complaints regarding violations of these T&C, please contact us.
Quill Corporation does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, national origin, gender or sexual orientation. For your benefit, Quill has posted a copy of its Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) policy statement.
Statement of EEO compliance
Lincolnshire, IL 60069
Federal ID Number: 36-2952904
SIC Number: 5961
Duns. Number: 02-527-3202
Ownership: Corporation – registered in Delaware, 1983. Not minority or women owned
President and CEO: Sergio Pereira
Years in Business: Since 1956
Annual Sales: $1 Billion
Kind of Business: Mail order office supplies, equipment, furniture, shipping room and computer supplies
Number of Employees: 788; Large Business
Labor Surplus: No
F.O.B.: If the shipping destination is outside the contiguous 48 states, the customer is responsible for all freight charges, regardless of total order.
Payment Terms: Net 30 days (also accepts credit cards)
Warranty on Products: Per Manufacturer
Contacts: Telephone Order & Customer Service Personnel 800-789-1331
Address to Order
P.O. Box 94080
Palatine, IL 60094-4081
24 Hour Fax Order Number
P.O. Box 37600
Philadelphia, PA 19101-0600
In addition, Quill Corporation hereby certifies that it does not maintain or provide for their employees any segregated facilities at any establishment. As used in this Certification, the term "Segregated Facilities" means any waiting rooms, work area, rest rooms and wash rooms, restaurants and other eating areas, time clocks, locker rooms and other storage or dressing areas, transportation, and housing facilities provided for employees which are segregated by explicit directive or are in fact segregated on the basis of race, creed, color or national origin, because of habit, local custom or otherwise.
Because we deal with 700 vendors and 1.1 million customers, it is impossible for us to reply on an individual basis and read each company's certification requirements. If we can clarify any questions regarding our policy on this issue, please call or write Susan DeSack, Sr. Manager OFCCP Compliance.
Social Accountability and Supply Chain Responsibility
As a Staples® company, Quill.com® is committed to providing our customers with top-quality products at reasonable prices that are manufactured responsibly. Click here for information about what steps Staples is taking to eradicate slavery and human trafficking from its supply chain, while maintaining social accountability and supply chain transparency.