Smartphones have revolutionized the way we get things done everywhere, delivering wireless capabilities in the office, at home, and while on the move. Lucky for you, printing is no different.
Whether you need a photo, presentation, or personal document, you can connect your home or office printer to your smartphone and print with ease. How so? By following the simple steps covered in this complete guide to printing from your phone. Below you can find specific print instructions, whether you’re an Android or iPhone user.
How to Print from Android Phones
Although so much of our lives now takes place in the digital realm, there are still plenty of times when a hard copy is required. Android users can get their hands on one by using these instructions to print what they need in a flash.
- Make sure that your printer and phone are connected to Wi-Fi. To print from your Android phone, your printer and phone need to be connected to the same network.
- Open the Google Chrome app. Most Android devices come with the Google Chrome web browser already installed. However, if you do not have Chrome, you may download it from the Google Play Store.
- Open the page, image, or file you want to print. If the item you wish to print cannot be opened in Google Chrome, use Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, or another Google Workspace app.
- Open the top-right menu and select Print. The symbol for the menu in Android applications is three vertical dots. If the menu within the app you are using does not possess a Print option, select Share and look for the option to Print there.
- Select your printer and settings within the Print menu. After opening the Print menu, you will be able to select your Printer from the drop-down menu, choose the number of copies you wish to print, and more.
- Press Print. Once you’ve finalized your settings, all that’s left is to hit Print.
While these steps are typically foolproof, depending upon the version of Android software your phone is running and which type of printer you are using, you may need to install an additional app before you print from your phone for the first time.
Printing from an Android Phone to an HP Printer
Using your Android device to print from HP printer may require an extra step. Before attempting to print your item, download and install the HP Print Service Plugin from the Google Play Store and proceed according to the steps listed above. Once you do that, you’ll have the correct Android software to use printers such as the HP LaserJet Pro M404dw Wireless Monochrome Laser Printer with Duplexing.
This HP LaserJet Pro M404dw prints quickly and flawlessly from my Android phone, and was very easy to setup. Perfect for those who primarily print high quality black and white documents and shipping labels. – Martin H.
Printing from an Android to a Canon Printer
Similar to HP, Canon printers require the installation of an app. Download the Canon Print Service app from the Google Play Store in order to connect your Canon printer with your Android phone.
Printing from an Android to a Brother Printer
Likewise, Brother printers require that you download the Brother iPrint&Scan application from the Google Play Store before printing.
How to Print from Your iPhone
While Apple users will have to follow a different set of steps, it is just as easy to print from your iPhone using the AirPrint capability. Nowadays, many new printers come already equipped with AirPrint technology. If that’s the case, then in order to print you simply follow these steps:
- Connect your iPhone and printer to the same Wi-Fi network. Once on the same network, make sure that your iPhone is within range of the printer.
- Open the item you wish to print. With AirPrint, you will be able to print from any application that supports printing.
- Tap the app’s share icon and select Print. The share icon is typically a left-facing arrow or a square box with an upward arrow. If you do not see a share option, tap the menu icon, which is three horizontal dots.
- Select your AirPrint-enabled printer and adjust your settings. Like on Android, you will be able to adjust a range of settings within the printing menu before completing the job.
- Tap Print in the top-right corner of the screen. While your item prints, you can view or cancel the job by opening the Print Center app within your phone’s App Switcher.
Of course, if your printer does not support AirPrint then, like with an Android device, you will first need to connect your iPhone and printer using the following steps.
Printing from an iPhone to HP Printers
Similarly, you can print from your iPhone and manage your HP printer directly from your phone by downloading the HP Print from the App Store. HP printing on an iPhone is available on printers such as the HP OfficeJet 200 Portable Printer with Wireless and Mobile Printing.
The printer connects to pretty much any mobile device such as an iPhone or iPad. – Homeschool Family
Printing from an iPhone to Epson Printer
To use an Epson printer without AirPrint technology, access advanced settings, as well as check on available levels of printer ink and toner, download the Epson iPrint App for iOS from the Apple Store.
Printing from an iPhone to Canon
To use your iPhone with a Canon printer that lacks AirPrint technology, download the Canon Print Service or Canon PRINT Inkjet/Selphy apps from the App Store.
While at first it might take a little bit of figuring out, with the help of this guide to printing from your phone, you’ll be an old pro in no time.
For more tips on printing from a phone or tablet device, check out our blog post we previously wrote.
Is there an office issue YOU know how to resolve that other office workers might benefit from? Write for our blog and get published online. The best part? You get PAID. Learn more now and submit a topic!